Quark is a fantastic baking ingredient and as a bonus, it’s low in both calories and fat and is high in protein. Protein helps us to feel fuller longer and it is essential for our bodies to grow and repair (we never stop doing this!).
I thought I’d experiment with Quark in a pancake recipe (as I know you all love pancakes!!) and the end result was super delicious.. the perfect base for maple syrup, blackberries & another dollop of Lemon Quark!
Quark Pancake Recipe
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 50g Quark (I used Lemon flavour*)
- 80ml milk (I used skimmed)
- 100g wholegrain flour (I used Spelt)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Plus your toppings .. I used Lemon Quark, Blackberries & Maple Syrup!
- Whisk the egg yolks before adding the quark, milk, baking powder and salt and whisking again
- Sprinkle in the flour and whisk again
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl before folding into the rest of the mixture (use a metal spoon for this so you don't lose any air!)
- Spray a non-stick pan with 1 cal spray oil (or use 1 tsp of coconut/vegtable oil) and cook 1/6th of the mixture for 2 minutes before flipping and cooking for a further minute
- Serve & enjoy
*If you use plain Quark then add either a tsp of lemon juice, vanilla, cocoa or cinnamon for flavour!
Nutritional information is for per 6th of the mixture
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2 g
Total Carbohydrates 14 g
Protein 6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.