This week I’ve posted all about ‘gluten’, which you can read about [here]. If you are gluten-free then this recipe is for you, and even better it’s meat-free too! I used the new gluten-free and meat-free sausages from Quorn in this recipe which are low in fat and calories, and are a healthy source of protein*.
This dish is simple to make and tastes amazing – it’s a great mid-week dish (me & my sister cooked this up super quickly too!) and tastes delicious when reheated the next day (I had this for a quick lunch too!). I would encourage everyone to have at least one meat-free day a week which you can read more about [here].
P.S This recipe can be enjoyed by those who can eat gluten too – like me! 😉
Gluten & Meat Free Sausage & Bean Casserole
- 6 Meat Free Gluten Free Quorn Sausages
- 2 tbsp olive oil or spray oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 100g sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1-2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 100ml apple juice
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g can of cannellini beans, drained
- 150ml vegetable stock
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees C, bake the frozen sausages for 14-16 minutes and set aside until cool before slicing into pieces OR heat half the oil in a large frying pan and fry the (defrosted) Quorn Sausages for 2-3 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool then slice diagonally into 5 pieces.
- Fry the onions and garlic in the remaining oil until soft, then throw in the peppers and continue frying. A little water or extra stock will prevent sticking, if needed.
- Stir in the sweetcorn, paprika and chilli powder and cook for a few more minutes before adding the apple juice.
- Pour in the tomatoes, beans and stock and return the Quorn Sausages to the pan. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes before sprinkling with parsley when serving.. and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 11 g
Total Carbohydrates 36 g
Protein 23 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
*Quorn Mince, Quorn Meat Free Chicken Pieces and Quorn Standard Sausages are a nutritionally healthy protein source. Protein contributes to the growth in and maintenance of muscle mass. This blog post has been written in collaboration with Quorn who I work as an ambassador for – you can read more about this collaboration [here] and my disclosure page.
Making this for tea… Chucked everything in the slow cooker (except the sausages as they’ll go soggy) hope it works out and looking forward to eating it post legs bums tums class!
Ooh that sounds lush! I really love this dinner so hope you do too!! xx