I love breakfast and my personal favourite is porridge. On warm spring mornings though I turn to ‘overnight oats’ and this recipe is one of my favourite; I mean who doesn’t want carrot cake for breakfast?!
Overnight oats are so simple to make; you simply mix together equal parts of milk, yoghurt and oats (along with what ever you fancy!) and leave the mixture overnight in a fridge. The oats soak up the moisture which makes them perfect to eat the next day.
You can eat overnight oats at home, on the go or at your desk and it’s a great way of getting some essential protein, fibre, wholegrain, healthy fats as well as vitamins and minerals (including calcium) into your body.
This creamy bowl of goodness is ideal to make in bulk for the week ahead or to feed a family; the below recipe serves 1 person which you can simple double or triple as needed.
Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup (40g) oats
- 1/2 cup (125ml) almond milk (or other milk)
- 1/2 cup (100g) natural yoghurt
- 1/2 small (40g) finely grated carrot
- 10g (1/2-1 tbsp) honey - to taste
- 15g raisins - small hand full
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Toppings: walnuts / extra cinnamon if desired
- The night before mix together all of the ingredients apart from the walnuts in a bowl
- Cover your breakfast mixture to make an air tight seal (you could use clingfilm) and refrigerate overnight
- Wait for morning time, add some broken up walnut pieces and enjoy the creamy, high fibre goodness!