If you’re after a healthy muffin recipe with a lemon twist then look no further (plus this recipe is easy to make too!).
The base of these muffins is oat flour, but feel free to use spelt or wholemeal. You can also make a protein version of the muffins by replacing 25g (1/4 cup) of the flour with whey protein – I used vanilla whey protein from Protein Dynamic (use the code NIC20 for 20% off!).
The recipe below makes 6 muffins (which I made in a silicone muffin tray to prevent them from sticking!) but you could easily double up the measurements to make 12.
Do let me know if you make these muffins too!
- 150g (1 and 1/4 cup) oat flour/ground oats*
- 45g (1/4 cup) sugar alternative**
- 1/2 tbsp baking soda + a pinch of salt
- 2 large lemons, zested + juice of half of 1
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1/4 cup oil (65ml) e.g. coconut or vegetable
- 1 egg & 1/2 tsp vanilla
- ICING: 100g Greek yoghurt, 25g vanilla protein powder***, 1-3 tbsp sweetener + juice of half a lemon
- Pre-heat your oven to 170 degrees C and mix together the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together before pouring into 6 silicone muffin cases
- Bake for 20 minutes (or until just cooked)
- Allow to cool, ice if desired & enjoy!
*To make protein lemon muffins use 120g (1 cup) of oat flour/ground oats and 25g (1/4 cup) of vanilla or unflavoured whey protein – this makes the muffins have 10g protein each!
**Such as Sukrin Gold, Xylitol or Trvuia (if you use a ‘lighter sweetener’ use the cup measurement as opposed to grams)
***You can swap the whey protein in the icing for white hot chocolate powder or Sukrin (calorie free) Icing Sugar
Nutrition stats are for when the mixture makes 6 muffins.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 12 g
Total Carbohydrates 15 g
Protein 6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
*This recipe was originally created for Protein Dynamix and contains an affiliate link. Please read my disclaimer page for more information.