This recipe is a great lower calorie alternative to nuts and is high in protein and fibre. Just half a can of chickpeas counts as 1 of your ‘5 a day’ and they are also totally delicious as well as being highly versatile.. they can be eaten alone as a healthy snack between meals, added to salads for extra ‘crunch’ or added to stir-frys or soups to boost protein content (add right at the end of cooking).
These roasted chickpeas are so easy to make and taste super delicious.. it’s quite unbelievable how healthy they are and they are also perfect for vegetarians wanting to increase their protein intake too (just half a can of chickpeas contains 8.6g of protein which is the almost the same as a chicken thigh!).
They really do make an ideal afternoon snack to take to work!
Roasted Chickpea Recipe
- 1 can of chickpeas PLUS
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2-1 tbsp olive oil/spray oil
OR a sweet version...
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees C and rinse the chickpeas in water
- Blot the chickpeas with kitchen paper to dry
- Choose your toppings and sprinkle/spray on! I chose paprika/salt and 1kcal Olive Oil spray
- Bake the chickpeas for ~30-40 minutes (until they're crispy) and serve!
- They really do make an ideal afternoon snack to take to work!
Nutritional stats are for per 1/3 can of chickpeas only.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.