I’ve never made ‘hasselback’ potatoes before but I certainly will be making them again as the end results was delicious. The sweet potatoes were SO soft and caramelised, and they cooked quicker too (bonus!).
I used American Sweet Potatoes in this recipe and prefer to buy the small, slimmer ones; as opposed to the much larger, rounder ones. The slimmer potatoes cook faster and in my opinion taste sweeter too.
In order to make hasselback potatoes you simply slice the potatoes until you’re 3/4 of the way down, all the way along, and to make this easier I chopped off a bit from the bottom, so the potato didn’t roll around, and I popped the potato between two wooden spatulas before slicing to make sure I didn’t slice all the way to the bottom.
Sweet potatoes are super versatile and go in so many dishes; I served mine with a rocket, beetroot, feta cheese and walnut salad one day and with salmon and roasted vegetables the next.
Do let me know if you try this recipe too!
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Long, slim American sweet potatoes
- Olive oil - in a bottle or spray oil
- Herbs/spices of choice*
- Pre-heat your oven to 190 degrees C
- Wash the sweet potatoes and slice a little of the skin from the bottom to they don't roll about
- Slice vertical slits into the sweet potatoes, 2-7mm apart, 3/4 of the way down, along the way along.
- Spritz or brush your sweet potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle over your chosen seasoning
- Pop on a baking tray and bake for 60 minutes or until soft
- Serve with your favourite salad or evening meal and enjoy!
*I used a cajun spice mix however you could just use salt & pepper.
*This blog post was written in collaboration with the American Sweet Potato Marketing Institute. All words are my own. I genuinely love sweet potatoes which is why I chose to work with them. Please read my disclaimer page for more information about collaborations.