Hello! So, if you’re anything like me then you LOVE JAM.. and after discovering an excess of chia seeds in my kitchen cupboards I decided do something healthy/constructive with them and came up with the refined-sugar-free jam recipe!
This healthy whole-food jam recipe contains just a few ingredients and it honestly tastes amazing. The texture is super similar to regular jam and it still tastes sweet despite the missing sugar. If you look at the ingredients list of most of the jams in the supermarket sugar is often the number one.. in this recipe though it’s BLUEBERRIES which are jam-packed (pardon the pun!) with antioxidants and vitamin C to keep our immune systems strong. Did I also mention that they’re naturally low in sugar and calories too?
The second main ingredient is chia seeds. Chia seeds are packed with antioxidants which help our body to stay healthy and as they are able to absorb 10-12 times their size and weight in liquid, they turn this jam into the perfect consistency once chilled!
Chia seeds are a good source of calcium, manganese, magnesium and phosphorus, and also contain vitamin B1 (Thiamine), vitamin B2, vitamin B3 (Niacin), potassium and zinc. Chia seeds are also packed with fibre which helps maintain a healthy digestive system as well as blood lipid profile. Eating more fibre can also help to increase feelings of fullness meaning that you may feel like eating less which can help with weight loss. This recipe is also contains protein as chia seeds are in fact 14% protein! Protein is essential for muscle growth and repair, and also help us to feel fuller for longer. Chia seeds really are a nutrient dense superfood!
Blueberry & Chia Seed Jam
- 250g (2.5 cups) fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- squeeze of lemon
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Add the blueberries and water to a pan over a medium heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes until soft
- Use a potato masher to crush the berries into a paste - leave as chunky as you wish!
- Stir in the lemon juice, honey and cinnamon to taste (adding more or less as needed)
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chia seeds
- Allow to cool before transferring to a bowl, covering and popping in the fridge for 1-2 hours where it will firm up to the consistency of jam. Then enjoy!
This recipes provides 10 servings
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 0.7 g
Total Carbohydrates 3 g
Protein 0.6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
*Images by Fields Photography London.
I made your 4 ingredients coconut macaroons tonight which are amazing then saw this. It’s taken me less than 15 minutes to make and it is so yummy. Can’t wait to try it on pancakes in the morning. Thank you!
Aw thank you so much Sarah!! xxx
Thanks for the recipe it looks awesome and I can’t wait to try it. Can you tell me how long it lasts when stored in the fridge? Thanks!
Hello! I would say at least a week in a sealed container 🙂 x