Hey guys! Last week I uploaded my weekly YouTube video on a Thursday (instead of a Sunday!) because I’ve collaborated with the amazing Megan from The Healthy Grocery Girl. She’s a Registered Dietitian (like me!) and lives over the pond in America.
We decided to cook up two vegan and vegetarian dishes – a main dish on my YouTube channel and starter dish on her YouTube channel using five of the same ingredients that have different names depending on what country you are in – so hopefully you’ll learn something in this video too!
The five ingredients we chose to use are (UK | USA name):
Aubergine = Eggplant
Zucchini = Courgette
Spring or Salad Onion = Green Onion
Celery Stick = Celery Stalk
Chickpeas = Garbanzo Beans
Do give this video a thumbs up if you’ve enjoyed and let me know if you try this recipe. You can check out Megan’s Starter Recipe here –> Baba Ghanoush Hummus and Zucchini Chips!
Baked Aubergine & a Chickpea Salad
- 1 Aubergine / Eggplant
- 1 Courgette / Zucchini
- 1 small can of Chickpeas / Gabanzo Beans
- 2 Spring or Salad / Green Onions
- 1 Celery Stick / Stalk
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp cumin + 1/2 tsp sumac
- 1 tbsp olive oil (+ extra for frying)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- squeeze of lemon juice/black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees C. Slice off the ends of an aubergine and slice it down the middle. Scoop out the flesh of aubergine (leaving a 1cm rim all of the way around). Sprinkle with olive oil and bake for 30 minutes until soft.
- Chop up the remaining vegetables (celery, spring onion and courgette) including the aubergine flesh and cherry tomatoes and fry until tender (in a little oil) with the cumin, garlic granules and sumac.
- When the aubergine 'boats' are baked/golden, remove from the oven and pour over your softened vegetables into aubergine boats.
- Serve with the chickpeas marinated in the oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and black pepper (mix together before pouring over). Enjoy!!
Tip - You can serve the dish with yoghurt and can mix cucumber pieces through chickpea salad.