Enjoying Acai Bowls seems to be the latest trend in the world of ‘health’ so I thought I would give one a go.. and I loved the results so much that I thought I would share my recipe(s) with you!
So first up.. what is Acia?
Acia is a South American palm tree which produces small red-purple berries that look similar to the blueberry. The berries are packed with antioxidants which are great for general health and they come in either fresh, frozen or dried form.
Lots of American acai bowl recipes use the frozen pulp however it’s quite hard to get hold of it England – which is why my recipes uses Acai powder (the dried version!).
What is an Acai Bowl?
An Acai bowl is basically frozen fruits blended with Acai to make a thick smoothie which you can eat with a spoon from a bowl.
You can top your smoothie bowl with a whole host of nutritious ingredients.. I personally love adding fresh fruit, chai seeds, flaxseeds, cacao nibs and desiccated coconut!
Where can you buy Acai Powder from?
You can get Acai Powder from most health food shops or Amazon and although it’s certainly not cheap, it will last you a while as you only need 2 tbsp per serving.
How do you make an Acai Bowl?
Read on to find out 🙂 …
Acai Smoothie Bowl
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk - any kind
- 1 cup (130g) frozen berries
- 2 tbsp acai powder
- 1/2 sliced frozen banana or 1 tsp honey/2 dates
- Optional: small handful of spinach or 1-2 tsp coconut flour to thicken
- Optional: 1 scoop vanilla whey protein*
- Toppings: Sliced banana, berries, desiccated coconut, chia seeds, cacao nibs, ground flaxseed etc!
- Add all of the ingredients in the order above to your blender** (so the powder doesn't get stuck to the bottom etc!) & blend.
- Pour your acai smoothie into a bowl & top with your favourite toppings (making it look as pretty as you like!)
- Enjoy - it really is that simple!!
**I used the Sage Blender in my video which you can buy from Amazon!
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 5 g
Total Carbohydrates 27 g
Protein 6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Above Ingredients: Milk, frozen berries, acai powder & honey.
Above Toppings from left to right: Chia seeds, ground flaxseeds, sliced banana, cacao nibs & desiccated coconut.
*Above Ingredients: Milk, frozen berries, acai powder, frozen banana, spinach & vanilla whey protein.
Above Toppings from left to right: Desiccated coconut, sliced strawberries, chia seeds & fresh blueberries.
Do let me know if you make an acai bowl & let me know what you think!!
*This blog post contains affiliate links – please read my disclaimer page for more information.