This recipe doesn’t need much of an introduction.. these ‘home made healthy coconut chocolate bites’ taste AMAZING and they are SO EASY to make!! They require just 2 main ingredients (plus an extra 2 for added amazingness) and are ready in just 15 minutes.. no baking or cooking required!
One of the main ingredients is coconut oil. There’s a lot of exciting new research about coconut oil, however always make sure to buy virgin coconut oil and NOT hydrogenated coconut oil, which contains trans fats (the worst type of fat for our health). Coconut oil is rich in a type of saturated fat known as “medium chain triglycerides,” which may be healthier than the types of saturated fat found in butter, meat, and dairy.
I personally use coconut oil instead of butter in baking and in oriental stir-fry dishes which are cooked at high temperatures. I still use olive oil for salad dressings.
Images copied righted to Bazzerio.
Coconut Frozen Bites
- 3 tbsp coconut oil* (melted)
- 3 tbsp ground almonds or PPB**
- 1 tbsp stevia/granulated sweetener***
- Optional - cocoa****
- Fruit - sliced banana/frozen berries
- Mix together the melted coconut oil, ground almonds/PPB and stevia (plus optional cocoa)
- Pour into ice-cube trays***** (not all the way to the top)
- Place in a banana slice or frozen berry into each of the 'chocolates'
- Freeze until the coconut mix is solid but banana pieces still soft (takes around 15 mins) - tip out and enjoy!
*You can buy coconut oil from some supermarkets or online e.g. from MuscleFood – use the code NIC5 for 5% off!
**You can get ground almonds from the baking section in supermarkets and you can read more about Powdered Peanut Butter (PPB) in my PPB review! If you have a nut allergy than you could use ground flaxseeds or protein powder instead.
***Read more about sweeteners [here].
****If you're using cocoa swap 1 tbsp of the ground almonds/PPB for 1 tbsp cocoa.
*****You can get heart-shaped silicone ice cube trays from Amazon.
Nutritional stats provided are based on making 6 'chocolate bites' using 3 tbsp coconut oil, 3 tbsp ground almonds, 1 tbsp sweetener & banana slices.. if you swap the ground almonds for PPB/PB2 they will be 78 Kcal, 7.4g fat, 2.4g carbs and 1.3g protein each.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8.8 g
Total Carbohydrates 2.4 g
Protein 1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
From left to right: Made with PPB, Ground Almonds (which taste like white chocolate!) & then Extra Cocoa.
*This blog post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer page for more information.