This recipe is colourful, tasty and (perhaps most importantly) bursting with nutrients. It’s also relatively low in fat, easy to make and is great for all the family.
Sweet Peppadew & Turkey Casserole
- 450g turkey thigh (trimmed of any visible fat)
- 70g Peppadew Peppers (OR double the apricots!)
- 70g dried apricots
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon, Coriander & Cumin
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 300ml vegetable stock
- (Fresh Coriander to Garnish & Brown Rice to Serve)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C & place the turkey in a mixing bowl and add the spices and oil. Mix well!
- Cook the turkey in a non-stick frying pan until browned all over, before transferring to an oven-proof casserole dish
- In the same frying pan cook the onion (finely chopped), chopped tomatoes, tomato puree for 5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the Peppadew Peppers, apricots and the stock and bring to the boil.
- Spoon the sauce over the turkey and mix well. Then cover and cook in the oven for an hour, removing the lid (or foil) for the last 10 minutes.
- Roughly chop the coriander and sprinkle over the casserole to garnish.. serve with brown rice (my choice), couscous or bulgar wheat.
Serves 4 people.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 5 g
Total Carbohydrates 22 g
Protein 26 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.