If you’re familiar with my blog then you’ll know that I’m a big fan of discovering new, healthy products. Any by this, I mean products that are as natural as they can be, with out any added ingredients that we simply don’t need!
Introducing Purition, the producers of 100% natural, low GI, vegetarian, sugar free and gluten-free, nutritious whole food protein shakes that are all literally BURSTING with super healthy ingredients!
The Purition shakes combine:
- Whey protein: Eating enough protein is essential to maintain a healthy body. Protein is the building blocks of life and helps to maintain healthy muscles, skin, hair, nails and immunity. Consuming protein with meals helps to lower the GI (glycaemic index) of a meal, which means that you will be left feeling fuller and more energised for longer.
- Fibre: Fibre helps us to feel fuller longer and promotes a healthy digestive system as well as a healthy heart (soluble fibre helps to lower the bad cholesterol in our blood).
- Heart Healthy Fats: Essential fatty acids, including omega 3, which assist with brain function and contribute to healthy skin, hair and nails.
The Puritition products are also a great source of vitamins and minerals and can help those of us with busy lives to achieve a) the right macro and micro-nutrient balance to promote health and b) regular meals!
Purition pride themselves in their super healthy ingredients lists, with no added sugars or artificial sweeteners, colours, flavourings or bulking agents, and have produced one of the most bioactive and bioavailable protein supplement on the market.
As well as Whey Protein Isolate, the Purition products contain:
- Almonds: Almonds have the highest fibre content of any nut and are highly anti-inflammatory. They contain many protective nutrients including calcium & magnesium, for strong bones and vitamin E (antioxidant), beneficial for maintaining healthy hair, skin and nails. Almonds also provide essential healthy fats and protein.
- Flaxseed/Golden Linseed: Flaxseeds are a great source of fibre, lignans, protein, omega 3, vitamins and the minerals. The soluble fibre in flax helps move food through the digestive tract and aids in the regulation of blood glucose by slowing the release of sugar from foods. Soluble fibre also helps to improve cholesterol levels
- Chia seeds: At 20% protein, chia seeds exceed that of all other grains and seeds. They are a rich source of both soluble and insoluble fibre and a natural source of antioxidants. Gram for gram chia seeds have 8 x more Omega 3 than salmon, 4 x the antioxidants of blueberries, 5 x more calcium than milk, 7 x more vitamin C than oranges, 3 x more iron than spinach and 2 x the potassium content of a banana *wow*.
- Coconut Flour: Coconut Flour contains more fibre than wheat bran and provides a good source of gluten free protein.
- Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds contain an abundance of nutrients and protein. They are high in most of the B vitamins, and vitamins C, D, E, and K. They are also rich in beta-carotene that can be converted into vitamin A in the body (essential for healthy eyes!).
- Sesame Seeds: Sesame Seeds are packed full of antioxidants and contain high levels of health benefiting antioxidants. The seeds are especially rich in monounsaturated oleic acid (Omega 9). Oleic acid helps to lower LDL or “bad cholesterol” and increase HDL or “good cholesterol” in the blood.
- Sunflower Kernals: Sunflower seeds are an excellent source of vitamin E, the body’s primary fat-soluble antioxidant and are particularly rich in magnesium. It’s a well-known fact that calcium is necessary for strong bones, but magnesium is too.
- Psyllium Husk: Psyllium Seeds re a great source of soluble fibre and their husks have long been enlisted for great digestive function, which aids regular bowel movement.
- Apple Pectin: Used to thicken jams naturally, apple pectin is a soluble fibre which lowers cholesterol by reducing the amount of it that is absorbed in the gut.
- Inactive Nutritional Yeast: A source for b-complex vitamins and protein.
- Stevia: A natural sweetener derived from the sweet leaf plant (Stevia rebaudiana). Its leaves are 300 x sweeter than sugar so they only have to use the tiniest amount to delicately sweeten the products. Stevia has negligible effect on blood sugar and zero calories.
The Purition products are available in 5 amazing flavours which not only taste delicious but are good for you too:
- Chocolate: Cocoa has a high concentration of antioxidants that help cells repair themselves and stay healthy. Cacao contains many nutrients such as magnesium, iron, zinc, copper and vitamin C.
- Coconut: Certified organic coconut flesh has a delicious sweet taste and it’s high in protein, gluten free as well as a good source of fibre.
- Pistachio: Pistachios have the highest level of phytosterols in any nut. They’re also an excellent source of vitamin B6 and contain thiamin, folate, biotin and riboflavin, niacin, and pantothenic acid are a good source of fibre and protein with an excellent amino acid profile.
- Almond: Almonds have the highest fibre content of any nut and are highly anti-inflammatory. They also taste pretty delicious too!
- Macadamia & Vanilla: One of their newest flavours includes 10% macadamia as well as vanilla pods to create a delicious shake that tastes great at any time of day!
- Vegan Hemp: This dairy free, raw vegan protein powder is made from hemp protein concentrate & tastes delicious with almond milk & 1/2 a frozen banana!
The Purition whole food shakes provide around 180 calories per 40g serving (4 scoops) and 16g of protein. My favourite way to enjoy them is as a smoothie mixed with 1/2 a frozen banana and milk (adding spinach for a nutrient boost is optional!) – check out the video below of me making my morning smoothie! I LOVE the chocolate, pistachio and coconut flavours the most and as a snack love them mixed into natural yoghurt over berries.
The Purition shakes (in my opinion) are perfect for;
- Busy people who just want to grab a healthy breakfast and go
- Those who are working out and struggle to meet their protein needs through food alone (up to 1.2 – 2 g per kg of body weight per day)
- People who just want to up their dietary intake of healthy fats and fibre – I personally found that the shakes were a great mid-meal snack that helped me to stop munching on things that I shouldn’t be!
Regarding weight loss and weight loss maintenance, we know from research that the majority of successful slimmers eat breakfast, meaning that a shake can be the perfect option for someone who usually skips breakfast and wants to lose weight. Meal replacement products in general can play a successful role in weight loss (when replacing 1 or 2 meals a day, with an additional healthy balanced meal), which could be an effective option for some people. The Purition products have an advantage over other meal replacement products due to their 100% natural and healthy ingredients list with no added sugar. Purition combines convenience and real food in one, with the shakes simply compressing a lot of nutrients into a small space!
I hope you find this review useful – do comment below and let me know what you think or if you’ve tried any of the Purition range! I would love to know!
NB – Some of the comments below are for a giveaway which is now closed!
*Samples of the product mentioned were supplied to me free of charge however this review is 100% honest and of my own opinion. I was compensated in terms of money/a gift of value for the time it took me to write this blog post. I was not influenced in any way by the free samples/incentives supplied and do not promote this product more than other products that I have not reviewed. The products that I am giving away were supplied to me free of charge however I chose to do this giveaway based on the merits of the product itself (from a personal/professional point of view). I do not promote this product more than others that I am not giving away. Please read my disclaimer page for more information, as well as for my over all view on protein powders/shakes.