This week sees the launch of Alpro’s ‘Almond Mornings’ Campaign, which is all about encouraging people to kick start their mornings with a healthy and delicious breakfast during the winter months.
To celebrate, Alpro have asked me to take part in a seven-day Alpro AM Challenge, which involves coming up with 7 delicious smoothie recipes using their unsweetened almond milk. I will be blogging my favourite recipes this week and today I’m kick-starting the campaign with a mint chocolate protein smoothie (IT TASTES INCREDIBLE!).
To give you a bit more information on unsweetened almond milk, it:
- Contains just 26 calories per 200ml serving (and tastes delicious!).
- Is plant based & dairy free which means even those who are lactose intolerant can enjoy it.
- Is naturally low in saturated fat.
- Contains vitamins B2, B12, D and E as well as calcium (a 200ml serving provides 30% of your RDA).
- Is free from artificial colours, flavours and preservatives – thumbs up all around!
The only downside to almond milk is that in comparison to cow’s milk it is pretty low in protein .. but if you’re getting enough protein from else where in the diet e.g. lentils, Greek yoghurt, meat and fish, then this shouldn’t be an issue.
Thanks to the ToneItUp Girls for this recipe inspiration!
Mint Chocolate Protein Smoothie
- 1/2 cup (125ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chilled mint tea*
- 1/2 frozen banana - peel before freezing!
- 1 cup (handful) spinach
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder**
- Add all of the ingredients in to your blender
- Blend until smooth!
- Serve & enjoy
*I used peppermint green tea.. Brew the tea for no more than 5 minutes, remove the tea bag and allow to cool .. you could make a big batch of mint tea using more than 1 tea bag and store it in the fridge for when needed!
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3.4 g
Total Carbohydrates 16 g
Protein 20 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
P.S I always get asked what blender I have and it’s a waring pro blender .. it’s fantastic and great if you make smoothies several times a week (it’s heavy duty!)
*This blog post has been written in collaboration with Alpro. I do not promote the products featured over others that I have not featured. This blog post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer page for more information and for my policy on using protein powders in baking, gluten-free foods/baking and vegetarian/vegan recipes.