Last year I was given a tub of matcha green tea and to be honest I didn’t really know what to do with it.. A shot glass came with it so naturally I went with the flow and mixed 1/2 tsp of matcha powder with some water and knocked it back – YAK. It is seriously disgusting stuff when drunk like this (trust me).
THEN came the ‘Matcha Green Tea Latte’ trend (thank goodness!) and finally we now have a tasty and very enjoyable way of consuming the goodness that is matcha green tea.
If you’ve never heard of matcha green tea before, it’s basically the green tea leaf that is ground down to a fine powder; “matcha” actually means “powdered tea”. Matcha green tea is rich in antioxidants; it contains approximately 3 times the amount of regular green tea (NOT 137 times.. as I explain in the video above!!) in addition to other vitamins and minerals, and is a natural stimulant too thanks to the caffeine content.
As I explain in the video above, matcha green tea isn’t a magic weight loss potion (like many websites would like us to believe!), however it may increase your metabolism slightly – this is more than likely due to the caffeine content. You can read more about that on Examine’s brilliant website.
So now that you know a bit more about matcha.. here is my favourite way to drink it! Do let me know if you give this recipe a go too!
Below: The top cup was made with 1 tsp matcha powder and the middle one was made with 1/2 tsp matcha powder.
How to Make a Matcha Latte
- 1/2-1 tsp matcha powder
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- dash of cinnamon (optional)
- 2-300ml milk (any kind)*
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- Add your matcha powder to your favourite mug along with a dash of boiling water and mix together with either a bamboo whisk, spoon or milk frother (my choice!). Add a dash of cinnamon (optional) and mix again.
- Heat 200-300ml of milk in another mug and slowly pour in, leaving around 50ml behind for later. Stir your drink and add in your chosen sweetener (mine is honey!).
- Froth the remaining milk and gently pour on top.
- Sit back, relax, and enjoy!
*Calories provided are for a latte made with unsweetened almond milk and honey.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3 g
Total Carbohydrates 7 g
Protein 1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
*I was provided with a sample of matcha green tea to try.