If you’re looking for a healthy quiche recipe that tastes AMAZING yet doesn’t use pastry (and all the calories/fat that comes with it) then look no further!
This quiche recipe is packed full of healthy ingredients and thanks to the basmati brown rice and eggs, it’s a great source of both protein and low GI carbs (low GI means that the energy is released slowly).
This recipe is super versatile – you can make it your own by adding your own choice of vegetables and extra protein – I chose smoked salmon but you may like to swap this for king prawns or chicken.
It tastes delicious both hot and cold and you can even freeze it too!
Brown Rice Crust Healthy Quiche
- 6 eggs (4 eggs, 2 egg whites)
- 400g (2 cups) COOKED brown basmati rice (160g raw)
- 200ml low fat creme fraiche*
- vegetables e.g. 100g broccoli, 200g cherry tomatoes
- 70g smoked salmon/chicken/prawns (optional)**
- 50g grated light cheese*
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C
- To make the quiche crust, mix together the rice and 1 egg until all of the rice is coated. Then press the rice into the base of a quiche dish (lining the base and edges)
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes before removing and turning up the oven heat to 200 degrees C
- Place your chosen vegetables in the base of the cooked brown rice crust, followed by your salmon/chicken/prawns (optional)
- Blend 3 eggs and 2 egg whites along with the creme fraiche (and any herbs/spices that you wish) in a blender before pouring over the vegetables
- Sprinkle with grated reduced fat cheese before baking for 40 minutes
- Enjoy hot or cold (the quiche can be stored in the fridge for later!)
*The lowest fat/calorie creme fraiche (3%) & cheese (10%) that I could find was Weight Watchers!
**Omit if you are vegetarian
Calorie stats provided are for 1/4 of the quiche (it's huge!)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10 g
Total Carbohydrates 25 g
Protein 22 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Delicious and pretty easy to make! The crust has a lovely crunch. I added lots of pepper to the mix as well. Really really nice – give it a go!
Thanks so much Lauren! You can also freeze it too – It’s delicious both hot and cold!! Great pics too 🙂 xx
I made this ready for the weekend and it looks sooo good I can’t wait to try it! I used mushrooms and mozzarella & goats cheese in the filling.
Great idea, thanks!
Hi Emma! Thanks for your comment 🙂 I love your pic too! Just uploaded it! Really hope you enjoy it as much as I did! x
I thought id try this healthy quiche with brown rice crust because I dont really like pastry.
I wasnt expecting much to be honest but it turned out fantastic and tasted amazing.
It cut just like a normal quiche which I didnt expect, I thought the rice would crumble.
I will defo be making this again, and I have already told lots of people about it 🙂
Thanks nichola for such a fantastic recipe 🙂
Aw thanks so much Diane!! What a lovely message to read 🙂 So glad you liked it! I was really impressed too actually.. I didn’t expect it to be so good!! 🙂 xx
Hi Nic, do you pre cook the rice before making the quiche? xx
Hi Sarah! Yep, the ingredients list states ‘cooked’ rice 🙂 xx
Could you make it without the crust and bake it like a frittata?
Hello! Yes I suppose 🙂
Any ideas/suggestions on dairy free alternatives for the crème fraiche and cheese? Really dying to try this recipe but need to fid suitable diary free alternatives where necessary! Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks 🙂
Hello! Have you tried nutritional yeast? That tastes like cheese so good for the topping.. regarding the creme fraiche I’m not too sure – perhaps a touch of soya yoghurt? Let me know if you try it! xx
Hi Nic, what size quiche dish did you use for this recipe? Thanks 🙂
Mine is 24 cm 🙂 x
Made this last night it was yummy. 🙂
Hi! It looks like such a great recipe! I’m a student always cooking your easy to make meals, especially the pancakes and no bake peanut cookies! However, few quick questions.. Do you cook the chicken and brocolli before putting it in? I have frozen brocolli and chicken, so could
Defrost the chicken the night before and cook it and put it in? Also would it be fine to half all the ingredients so that it serves 2 as it’s only for me? Keep up the good recipes 😀
Hello! Use cooked chicken and the broccoli should be ok frozen/defrosted 🙂 If I were you I would make the whole thing and free pieces 🙂 But yes you can half the mix and use a smaller pan to cook it in 🙂 x
I am going to give this a go today!!! I have no brown rice in though so plan to use quinoa instead which I am guessing should work too.
Ooh I hope it does.. It may not hold together as well though. Do let me know!
Love is recipe. The quiche tasted amazing. Am going to experiment with different fillings now.
Aw so glad you liked it Lou! Thanks for the comment 🙂 x