If you’re looking for a healthy quiche recipe that tastes AMAZING yet doesn’t use pastry (and all the calories/fat that comes with it) then look no further!
This quiche recipe is packed full of healthy ingredients and thanks to the basmati brown rice and eggs, it’s a great source of both protein and low GI carbs (low GI means that the energy is released slowly).
This recipe is super versatile – you can make it your own by adding your own choice of vegetables and extra protein – I chose smoked salmon but you may like to swap this for king prawns or chicken.
It tastes delicious both hot and cold and you can even freeze it too!
Brown Rice Crust Healthy Quiche
- 6 eggs (4 eggs, 2 egg whites)
- 400g (2 cups) COOKED brown basmati rice (160g raw)
- 200ml low fat creme fraiche*
- vegetables e.g. 100g broccoli, 200g cherry tomatoes
- 70g smoked salmon/chicken/prawns (optional)**
- 50g grated light cheese*
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C
- To make the quiche crust, mix together the rice and 1 egg until all of the rice is coated. Then press the rice into the base of a quiche dish (lining the base and edges)
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes before removing and turning up the oven heat to 200 degrees C
- Place your chosen vegetables in the base of the cooked brown rice crust, followed by your salmon/chicken/prawns (optional)
- Blend 3 eggs and 2 egg whites along with the creme fraiche (and any herbs/spices that you wish) in a blender before pouring over the vegetables
- Sprinkle with grated reduced fat cheese before baking for 40 minutes
- Enjoy hot or cold (the quiche can be stored in the fridge for later!)
*The lowest fat/calorie creme fraiche (3%) & cheese (10%) that I could find was Weight Watchers!
**Omit if you are vegetarian
Calorie stats provided are for 1/4 of the quiche (it's huge!)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10 g
Total Carbohydrates 25 g
Protein 22 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.