So who knew that French Toast and Eggy Bread were the same thing?! Well, not me until a few weeks ago!!
I used to love Eggy Bread as a kid and was super excited to discover Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin Bread which I knew would make the experience even more pleasurable! Ezekiel bread (available from MuscleFood – use NIC5 for 5% off!) is made from sprouted whole grains and legumes which means that it is packed with fibre and goodness and it also releases it’s energy slowly.
Eggy Bread/French Toast is seriously SO easy and quick to make (as shown in the video) and you can even make a protein version too – simply add one extra tbsp of milk and 30g of Whey Protein. My sister in particular LOVED the protein version and said it tasted just like a cinnamon bun – I knew that I had to share this recipe with you after that comment!!
This Healthy (Protein) French Toast Recipe is perfect for breakfast, a snack or dessert and you can get creative with the toppings such as desiccated coconut, berries, dried fruit, yoghurt or even dark chocolate chips – the options really are endless!
Do let me know if you give this recipe a go!
Healthy French Toast
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp coconut or rapeseed oil
- 2 slices cinnamon & raisin or fruit loaf bread + 1 tsp cinnamon
- Optional: Extra tbsp milk and 1 scoop whey protein
- Toppings e.g. yoghurt and fruit
- In a bowl whisk together the egg and almond milk until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a shallow bowl and dip in the bread, coating one side with the mixture before flipping and coating the other side.
- Meanwhile heat a small amount of coconut oil in a small pan and once hot add the bread - fry on each side for a couple of minutes until golden and repeat for the second slice.
- Slice the bread in two and top with your chosen toppings and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6 g
Total Carbohydrates 13 g
Protein 36 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.