So who knew that French Toast and Eggy Bread were the same thing?! Well, not me until a few weeks ago!!
I used to love Eggy Bread as a kid and was super excited to discover Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin Bread which I knew would make the experience even more pleasurable! Ezekiel bread (available from MuscleFood – use NIC5 for 5% off!) is made from sprouted whole grains and legumes which means that it is packed with fibre and goodness and it also releases it’s energy slowly.
Eggy Bread/French Toast is seriously SO easy and quick to make (as shown in the video) and you can even make a protein version too – simply add one extra tbsp of milk and 30g of Whey Protein. My sister in particular LOVED the protein version and said it tasted just like a cinnamon bun – I knew that I had to share this recipe with you after that comment!!
This Healthy (Protein) French Toast Recipe is perfect for breakfast, a snack or dessert and you can get creative with the toppings such as desiccated coconut, berries, dried fruit, yoghurt or even dark chocolate chips – the options really are endless!
Do let me know if you give this recipe a go!
Healthy French Toast
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp coconut or rapeseed oil
- 2 slices cinnamon & raisin or fruit loaf bread + 1 tsp cinnamon
- Optional: Extra tbsp milk and 1 scoop whey protein
- Toppings e.g. yoghurt and fruit
- In a bowl whisk together the egg and almond milk until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a shallow bowl and dip in the bread, coating one side with the mixture before flipping and coating the other side.
- Meanwhile heat a small amount of coconut oil in a small pan and once hot add the bread - fry on each side for a couple of minutes until golden and repeat for the second slice.
- Slice the bread in two and top with your chosen toppings and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6 g
Total Carbohydrates 13 g
Protein 36 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Such a simple way to use up spare ingredients, with just an egg and some toast then whatever toppings you have in the fridge or cupboards. Breakfast, lunch or snack, I’ll be making more french toast in future!
And thank you so much for the fab pic Adrian!!
How does it have 36g of protein?
Oh just watched the vid you add protein powder 🙂 gonna try this now looks tasty