This autumn soup recipe tastes amazing and even better, it’s dairy-free – so nobody needs to miss out on the creamy (low fat) goodness!
And don’t worry if you’re thinking “YUK, this sounds horrible”, because I thought the same.. until I tried it!! I’m not a massive cauliflower fan (unless it has cheese on!) but this soup recipe really is so tasty!
Cauliflower is a great source of vitamin C and other antioxidants which help to keep us healthy, and it is bursting with soluble fibre which helps to reduce cholesterol levels.
Cauliflower is also very low in calories meaning that it is a great choice for weight loss – you could even have a cup of this as a nutritious snack! Without the oil/garnish the soup is just 98 calories and 6g fat per serving (1/4).
Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 2 pinches saffron or turmeric
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 250ml unsweetened almond milk or oat milk
- zest of an unwaxed lemon
- 4 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 tbsp olive/nut/seed oil & black pepper - for serving
- Chop the cauliflower into florets and add to a large pan along with a pinch of saffron/turmeric, garlic and vegetable stock (keeping a couple of tiny florets aside to use as a garnish)
- Gently simmer for 20 minutes, until the cauliflower has softened
- Add the ground almonds, lemon zest and unsweetened almond milk before blending the soup with a hand-blender (or you could use a normal blender) until smooth or to your preferred texture
- To serve, add some of the oil to a fresh pan with the left over cauliflower florets and saffron/turmeric and fry until tinged golden brown - use these to garnish the soup with a drizzle of oil and black pepper!