With Christmas just around the corner, here is the ultimate in foodie gifts.. it’s the Boss blender from Sage, designed by the one and only Heston Blumenthal! If you prefer to watch and listen then check out my review video below (including two healthy recipes; a green smoothie and healthy Nutella) or if you prefer to read then keep on scrolling :).
This blender is the king of blenders and I honestly believe that I will own it and use it for the rest of my blending life. The main thing that I love about the blender is its ‘one touch’ system – you just decide what you want to make in it, load the machine and then press a button. There’s five buttons in total, as well as ‘on/off’, start, timer and auto-clean (the latter being my favourite!!).
- Pulse (ice-crusher) – you can also use this function to crush nuts too.
- Smoothie – I love the sound of mixing 280g vanilla yoghurt with 2 pears, 1 ripe banana, 150g frozen raspberries and 125ml milk to make 4 amazing smoothies!
- Green Smoothie – it blitz’s greens such as kale and spinach into a smooth consistency in smoothies.
- Frozen Desserts – to make nice-cream (banana ice-cream!).
- Soup – the blender heats and makes soup too – genius!
- Mill/Stir – This function includes nearly every method of mixing including stir, mix, chop, blend, puree and mill. You can use this button to make nut or oat flour or to grind up spices & to make nut butter. You can also use it to puree fruit to be frozen into ice-lollies and to make sauces such as mayonnaise.
There’s a few things different about the Boss blender (in comparison to other blenders) ..
- The Shape – The curved bottom makes sure that the ingredients are thrown up and around the blender meaning that heat doesn’t concentrate at the bottom (keeping more nutrients preserved).
- The Blades – The blades help to blitz the blender contents to 50% smaller particles which means two things; first up is a more flavour (if you compare icing sugar to granulated sugar then you’ll know that icing sugar is sweeter, yet it’s the same ingredient just ground up more!), and second it can make certain ingredients (such as green vegetables) easier to digest.
- The Material – The blender is light-weight and is easy to pour and is made from BPA Free plastic.
With the blender you get 2 accessories; the blending wand (great when using nut butter) and the scarper (perfect for making frozen desserts).
SO what did I make in my blender?! First up was a green smoothie, it’s a great way of reaching your 5 a day and is bursting with fibre, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants! You can read more about smoothies in this blog post.
TRIPLE GREEN SMOOTHIE
- Serves: 3-4 people
- Ingredients: 1 whole cucumber (chopped), 2 celery sticks (halved), 30g baby spinach, 20g kale leaves, 1 green apple (cored and quartered), 1 banana (peeled and halved) and 500ml of chilled water or coconut water, Optional: juice of 1/4 of a lemon.
- Method: Press the GREEN SMOOTHIE button & watch your ingredients blend for a minute before enjoying!
- Ingredients: 300g blanched hazelnuts (watch the video to see how to blanch your own!), 80g agave nectar or honey (1/3 cup), 40g cocoa, 2-3 tbsp warm water.
- Method: Mill for 1 minute or until the mixture is almost smooth (use the wand to occasionally press down the ingredients into the blades if required). Then blend for 10-15 seconds or until smooth.
Do let me know what you think to the recipes and this blender if you have it too!! I really hope you find this review useful 🙂
*A sample of the product was provided for me to use and review. All opinions and words written are 100% honest as always. Please read my disclaimer page for more information.