Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day; it sets me up for the morning ahead and I love leaving the house knowing that I’ve had at least one or two of the five portions of fruit and vegetables that I should be eating that day!
This healthy recipe, baked berry & banana oats is novel take on porridge and it really is easy to make; you just mix all of the ingredients together before popping it into the oven!
You can make this recipe the night before a busy morning: The end result can be sliced up and enjoyed at home either hot or cold or taken to work with you to enjoy at your desk. I love adding a dollop of yoghurt for extra creaminess too and I promise you that it’s a hit with both children and adults alike.
This recipe provides a whole host of different nutrients including soluble fibre from the oats, potassium and vitamin C from the banana and blueberries and protein and calcium from the eggs and milk.
Feel free to change the fruit if you like; strawberries also work really well!
Baked Berry & Banana Oats
- 80g rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder & 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 mashed banana
- 375ml milk
- Toppings: Banana Slices & Blueberries or Strawberries
- Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together and then pour it into a dish suitable for baking
- Top with your chosen fruit and bake for 25 minutes at 190 degrees C
- Serve with a dollop of yoghurt and enjoy!
If you want a chocolate version then simply add 2 tbsp of cocoa powder to the mix before baking along with some stevia (natural sweetener) or vanilla essence to taste and then after cooking press in some pieces of chocolate!
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3 g
Total Carbohydrates 32 g
Protein 9 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.