Quorn Stuffed Peppers
- 2 red/yellow peppers (1 pepper per person)
- 300g meat-free mince/Quorn
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 5 mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove or 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (more if desired)
- 1-2 cans (~4-800g) chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 can (400g) kidney beans
- ~20g light mozzarella per pepper half (more if you want more calories!)
- Basmati/wild rice & salad to serve (75g dry rice/person)
- Spray oil & water
- Halve your peppers down the middle (stalk too), WITHOUT chopping off the tops, and carefully scrape out the seeds/pith.
- Give the peppers a light spritz with oil before baking them for 20 minutes at 200 degrees C to soften.
- Meanwhile, spray a non-stick pan with oil and fry the onion for 2-3 minutes until softened before adding the mushrooms and garlic and frying for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the meat-free mince, 1 can of chopped tomatoes and tomato puree along with the soy sauce and mix well in the pan. If the mixture is a little dry add ~100ml water or the other can of chopped tomatoes and simmer for ~10-15 minutes before adding the drained kidney beans.
- Once the peppers have been baking for 20 minutes, and the meat-free mince mix has been simmering for 10 minutes, either add your cooked rice to the meat-free mince mixture & stir OR add a couple of tbsps into the pepper halves before topping with the meat-free mince mix and a slice of mozzarella OR simply stuff the pepper halves with the meat-free mince mix and top with mozzarella (leaving the rice to be served separately on the plate) - it's your dinner and your choice!
- Switch your oven on to grill and grill the 'stuffed peppers' topped with mozzarella for ~5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with salad (and rice if not used previously!).. yum!
The meat-free mince mixture makes enough to deeply fill 4-6 whole peppers (8-12 halves) but keeps well in the fridge and could even be frozen. I served left overs of the mixture the next day with sweet potato and topped it with Quark and it tasted delicious! The calorie stats displayed are for per 2 stuffed pepper halves without rice.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 5 g
Total Carbohydrates 19 g
Protein 20 g
Recipe by Nics Nutrition at https://nicsnutrition.com/quorn-stuffed-peppers/