Healthy Carrot Cake
- 250g spelt or wholemeal flour
- 250g quark
- 125g Sukrin or Xylitol
- 100g apple puree & 15ml veg oil (or just 125ml oil)
- 2 eggs
- 100g-150g raisins/sultanas - optional
- 3 medium grated carrots (~300g)
- 50g desiccated coconut (unsweetened) - and extra for sprinkling!
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla & 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Topping: 250g quark & 3 sachets (33g) low calorie white hot chocolate powder or sukrin icing sugar*
- Preheat your oven to 180C (160C fan) or gas mark 4
- Whisk together the sukrin/xylitol and oil (and apple puree if using), before adding the eggs and quark
- Then stir in the spelt flour, baking powder, bicarb soda, salt, vanilla and cinnamon
- Mix well before adding the raisins, carrots and desiccated coconut (this requires a bit of effort to stir in!)
- Divide between 18 silicone muffin cases** or 1 lined or silicone cake tray
- Bake in the oven on the middle shelf for 30-40 minutes until golden and a wooden skewer/tooth pick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake/muffins
- Whilst the muffins are baking/cooling prepare your topping - simple mix or whisk the ingredients/quark and hot chocolate or sukrin icing sugar together and spoon onto the muffins once cooled
- Sprinkle the muffins with desiccated coconut or cinnamon and serve!
*To make a more indulgent topping simply mix 300g icing sugar with 100g unsalted butter, 50g of quark and 1 tbsp of honey.
**I use silicone muffin cases which means that the mixture never sticks - a must when using less fat/oil than usual , or when using oats.
These muffins can be frozen! I personally though would freeze them before adding the quark topping!
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 4 g
Total Carbohydrates 25 g
Protein 7 g
Recipe by Nics Nutrition at https://nicsnutrition.com/healthy-carrot-cake-recipe/