This week I’ve posted all about ‘gluten’, which you can read about [here]. If you are gluten-free then this recipe is for you, and even better it’s meat-free too! I used the new gluten-free and meat-free sausages from Quorn in this recipe which are low in fat and calories, and are a healthy source of protein*.
This dish is simple to make and tastes amazing – it’s a great mid-week dish (me & my sister cooked this up super quickly too!) and tastes delicious when reheated the next day (I had this for a quick lunch too!). I would encourage everyone to have at least one meat-free day a week which you can read more about [here].
P.S This recipe can be enjoyed by those who can eat gluten too – like me! 😉
Gluten & Meat Free Sausage & Bean Casserole
- 6 Meat Free Gluten Free Quorn Sausages
- 2 tbsp olive oil or spray oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 100g sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1-2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 100ml apple juice
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g can of cannellini beans, drained
- 150ml vegetable stock
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees C, bake the frozen sausages for 14-16 minutes and set aside until cool before slicing into pieces OR heat half the oil in a large frying pan and fry the (defrosted) Quorn Sausages for 2-3 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool then slice diagonally into 5 pieces.
- Fry the onions and garlic in the remaining oil until soft, then throw in the peppers and continue frying. A little water or extra stock will prevent sticking, if needed.
- Stir in the sweetcorn, paprika and chilli powder and cook for a few more minutes before adding the apple juice.
- Pour in the tomatoes, beans and stock and return the Quorn Sausages to the pan. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes before sprinkling with parsley when serving.. and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 11 g
Total Carbohydrates 36 g
Protein 23 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
*Quorn Mince, Quorn Meat Free Chicken Pieces and Quorn Standard Sausages are a nutritionally healthy protein source. Protein contributes to the growth in and maintenance of muscle mass. This blog post has been written in collaboration with Quorn who I work as an ambassador for – you can read more about this collaboration [here] and my disclosure page.