If you’re looking for a healthy DELICIOUS snack to jazz up your afternoon, party or evening then this is it. The humble California walnut has just got a seriously yummy makeover and it couldn’t be easier to do.
I love walnuts, not only because they are great to snack on but because they are nutritious too; did you know that walnuts:
- Are rich in ‘heart healthy’ unsaturated fats
- Contain the most plant-based omega 3 out of any tree nut
- Provide 10 vitamins & minerals which support energy
- Are a source of vitamin B1, B2 and B6
- Provide the minerals biotin, magnesium, phosphorus, iron & manganese
- Are rich in copper and zinc which contribute to immune function & maintenance of normal skin and hair
- Contain 4g of plant-based protein per 30g serving
Californian walnuts are harvested in September and October, and are found in most supermarkets; just check the ingredients to see where the walnuts are grown (top tip; the ones in Lidl are from California!). Fresh from the sun-soaked groves, California walnuts have a milk, sweet and natural creamy taste, which is why I love them!
A portion of walnuts is 30g (or a handful) and this recipe makes 7 servings. You should store your finished walnut snack in an air-tight jar (such as a Kilner jar) and I reckon with a pretty ribbon tied around it it would make the perfect gift for a food-lover too!
Do let me know if you make them too! They are so easy to make!
Smoky Rosemary and Chilli California Walnuts
Salty, smoky and spicy, these toasted California walnuts are perfect served with drinks, at dinner parties, or to pop in your desk drawer as a tasty snack.
- 200g California walnuts
- 30g pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 sprig of rosemary, finely chopped (or a pinch of dried rosemary)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a flat baking tray with baking paper, place the walnuts and pumpkin seeds on the tray, and roast in the oven for 3 minutes.
- Mix together the maple syrup, paprika, soy sauce, rosemary, salt and chilli flakes in a small bowl and drizzle over the nuts and seeds, tossing to coat.
- Place back in the oven and roast for 5-6 minutes or until toasted and fragrant.
- Place in an airtight jar to store.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 20 g
Total Carbohydrates 8 g
Protein 5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.