Healthy Scrambled Eggs2013-04-17
- Course: Breakfast
- Servings : 1
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 5m
- Ready In : 10m
The benefits of breakfast are endless (well almost!):
1) Breakfast gives you energy - It tops up your energy stores for the day and helps to regulate blood sugar levels.
2) Breakfast gives your brain a boost – Eating breakfast helps improve your memory, concentration and aspects of mental performance.
3) Breakfast can make you happier – Eating something in the morning can help improve your mood and make you feel less stressed. Going for long periods without eating can result in low blood sugar which can affect mood.
4) Breakfast is good for your waistline – People who eat breakfast are less likely to be overweight and more likely to be in their ideal weight range than people who skip breakfast. Skipping breakfast can make you more likely to reach for high sugar and fatty snacks too.
5) Breakfast provides important nutrients – If you miss breakfast you may miss out on important nutrients. Breakfast foods are good sources of nutrients such as calcium, iron and B Vitamins, as well as protein and fibre.
Sometimes, a hot breakfast is the only thing that will do, but hot doesn’t have to mean unhealthy.. this recipe shows how to make a lower fat version of the humble eggs on toast.
This breakfast is packed full of protein and low GI carbs which means that you will be full until lunch time.. the tomato puree adds vitamin C as well as antioxidants and is both low in fat and calories.
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- dash of skimmed milk
- handful of spinach leaves
- olive oil
- cherry tomatoes
- button mushrooms
- slice granary/wholemeal toast
- tomato puree
Whisk together 1 whole egg, 1 extra egg white and a dash of skimmed milk
Place in a small saucepan and cook, stirring until lightly scrambled & add a generous helping of pepper (and a touch of salt)
Mean while lightly fry a handful of spinach leaves with a dash of water & spray of olive oil along with (halved) cherry tomatoes and (halved) button mushrooms
Serve on a piece of wholemeal bread, toasted and spread with tomato puree.