Two Healthy Lamb Recipes for Mid-Week
Both myself and my fiancé are massive fans of lamb; we served lamb shoulder on Christmas day and have lamb mince/leg almost weekly. Lamb is super quick and easy to cook and as well as being delicious it’s also really versatile too.
Nutritionally, lamb has a lot to offer; it contains 7 vitamins and minerals which contribute towards health and wellbeing:
- Lamb is a rich source of zinc which contributes to normal fertility & reproduction
- Lamb provides 4 essential vitamins and minerals that help reduce tiredness and fatigue; niacin, Pantothenic Acid (vitamin B5), B6 and B12
- Lamb is a source of protein which is needed for normal growth and muscle repair
Here are two of my favourite recipes using lamb, both of which are perfect for mid-week!
Starter Recipe or Lighter Evening Meal: Lamb Kebabs, marinated in a yoghurt and spices & served with a Beetroot Salad
- Ingredients: 130g (1/2 cup) Greek yoghurt, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp ground paprika, 1 tbsp garlic granules/2-4 crushed garlic cloves, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp rapeseed or olive oil, 450g lamb leg steak (diced & trimmed of fat) and vegetable chunks e.g. red onion, mushrooms, whole cherry tomatoes, peppers.
1) Combine the yoghurt, lemon juice, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil in a bowl before adding your lamb and mixing well
2) Cover the lamb and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight (or for at least 4 hours)
3) Once the lamb is marinated, grab your skewers; if you’re using wooden skewers don’t forget to soak them in water for at least 20 minutes first so they don’t burn (I prefer the metal skewers!) .. and slide on a vegetable chunk, followed by lamb chunk (shake off any excess marinade) and repeat until full
4) Grill your skewers until the lamb is cooked; mine took around 6 minutes on each side
5) Serve with salad I love beetroot & rocket!
Main Cours Recipe: Lamb Meatballs served in a Tomato Sauce with Cauliflower Rice and Roasted Vegetables
- Ingredients: For the meat balls: 500g lamb mince, 2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground garlic and 2 finely chopped spring onions, finely chopped. For the sauce: Spray oil, 1 diced onion, 1 tsp ground garlic, 2 tsp smoked paprika, pinch cayenne pepper/mild chilli powder, 1 tin chopped tomatoes, 1-2 sliced red peppers, 1 tbsp tomato puree or water and salt and pepper to taste.
1) Tip the lamb mince into a bowl and add the cumin, garlic, spring onions and a generous pinch of salt and pepper
2) Mix together with a spoon and then use your hands to clump the mixture into a big ball
3) Shape the mince mixture into approximately 17 meatballs and place on your grill pan or a baking tray
4) Grill the meatballs for 6 minutes on each side or until well browned and cooked through
5) Whilst the meatballs are cooking you can make the sauce; Fry the onion in your spray oil over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic, peppers, onions, paprika and cayenne pepper or chilli powder to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes as well as tomato puree or water, season with salt and pepper and stir well
6) Simmer for 10 minutes until you have a rich sauce before adding your meatballs and mixing well
7) Serve on a bed of cauliflower rice or spaghetti and enjoy!
I really hope you enjoy making these recipes; do tag me in on social media if you do! And for more information as well as recipes using Lamb check out the Tasty Easy Lamb website!
*This blog post was written in collaboration with Tasty Easy Lamb. Please read my disclaimer page for more information about brand collaborations.