Healthy Bagel Recipe Ideas
If you love bagels and you’re after some healthy fillings or toppings for them then you’ve come to the right place. I am a massive fan of the whole ‘open sandwich’ idea (toasted open bagels are my favourite!) as it means that you get more of the best bit – the filling!!
Bagels are great for either breakfast, lunch and brunch and are a quick and simple way of achieving a balanced meal; just add a source of protein (such as chicken, eggs or cheese) and some fibre (fruit, salad or vegetables) and you’re good to go. Bagels are really filling and a great source of energy with each bagel is being around 230 calories (less than 2 slices of most bread), 45g carbs, 3g fibre and a whopping 9g protein.
You can get both sweet and savoury bagels and below I’ve come up with my favourite three topping suggestions for each. For the recipes shown I used bagels from the New York Bakery Co.; plain or sesame for the savoury bagel recipe ideas and cinnamon and raisin (my personally favourite!) or cheese for the sweet bagel recipes.
First up are my favourite healthy savoury bagel suggestions:
- Smashed Avocado topped with Scrambled Egg – Add mashed avocado to toasted bagel halves. Mix the egg with a dash of milk before scrambling in a pan to make them fluffy, season with salt & pepper and serve with cherry tomatoes/spinach on the side. This recipe is packed with healthy fats and protein as well as fibre thanks to the veggies. Who doesn’t love a twist on the classic “Avocado Toast”?!
- Red Pepper Hummus & Rocket – Add slices of tomato on top of the hummus and rocket for extra goodness!
- Cream Cheese & Green ‘Slaw’ – On top of your regular cream cheese topped toasted bagel add matchstick pieces of cucumber & green apple that have been mixed with a dollop of natural yoghurt, dijon mustard & chopped chives – plus salt & pepper! Yum!
And next up are my favourite healthy sweet bagel suggestions:
- Fig, Prosciutto Ham & Ricotta Cheese – Grill your ham & add onto a toasted bagel topped with ricotta cheese & fig slices. Finish with a drizzle of honey, basil leaves as well as salt & pepper.
- Cream Cheese with Raspberries or Strawberry Slices & Mint – Add a squeeze of lemon to the cream cheese for an extra ‘zing’!
- Peanut or Almond Butter topped with with Banana Slices & Cinnamon – Sprinkle the cinnamon over your banana slices before grilling them for a few minutes to warm & once added to your toasted bagel topped with peanut or almond butter, drizzle with honey for extra sweetness.
So now you’ve heard what my favourite healthy bagel toppings are I would love to hear yours!!
*The lovely chaps at the NY Bakery Co. sent me the bagels featured in this recipe along with some goodies to help make them! All opinions and words are my own and are 100% honest. Please read my disclaimer page for more information.