There seems to be a lot of love for my (sweet potato) protein brownies but not everybody liked the idea of sweet potato in a brownie.. so, listening to demand here is a new chocolate protein brownie recipe, minus the potato (and replaced with another secret ingredient.. chickpeas!!).
Chickpeas are a great source of both protein (19g/100g) and fibre (17g/100g) and provide our bodies with iron, magnesium and vitamin B6.
These chickpea protein bars are the perfect pre/post workout snack and would taste delicious with flaked almonds on top or even a teaspoon or two of coffee added to the mix!
Chocolate Chickpea Protein Brownies
- 1 can (240g drained) chickpeas
- 3 egg whites
- 1 scoop (25-30g) chocolate protein powder*
- 100g dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp coconut or veg oil
- 2 heaped tbsp oats
- 2 tbsp sweetener or 2-3 dates
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Add the chickpeas, egg whites, chocolate protein powder, oats, sweetener or dates, salt and baking powder to a food processor.. whizz until smooth
- Melt the oil and dark chocolate chips for a few minutes in a microwavable bowl and add to the food processor then whizz again
- Pour in to a small baking tray lined with baking paper and smooth out with a spatula
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 175 degrees C until cooked
- Slice in to 9-12 slices, allow to cool and enjoy!
*Or swap for ~1 tbsp cocoa & ~3 tbsp milk powder OR 4 tbsp hot chocolate powder!
Nutritional stats are for per 12th of the recipe.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3 g
Total Carbohydrates 10 g
Protein 5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
*This blog post contains an affiliate link. Please read my disclaimer page for more information and for my policy on using protein powders in recipes, gluten-free foods/baking and vegetarian/vegan recipes.